Sunday, August 15, 2010

Thompson Enamel Class


I am so glad I took a torch-fired enamel class at Thompson Enamel earlier this month. The excellent and super-fun teacher was Paul Roche, who also teaches at the John C. Campbell Folk School. Paul used to be a chef and certainly lived up to his promise to teach enameling "outside the box." We learned a lot of shortcuts. (We definitely didn't wash or sift enamel.) We jumped in and starting hammering, pounding and firing right away.

My class results above are nothing fancy and don't begin to show how much I really learned in the class. I have more supplies en route from Thompson Enamel. I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn to play with them before the garage/outside air hits 95 degrees right before noon.

8 comments:

  1. Oh woo these are gorgeous, you are so lucky to have classes over there. I also make enemaled beads just plain and simple beads nothing fancy as your beadies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome! You know you can get enamels from http://www.etsy.com/shop/Paintingwithfire ? Barbara Lewis rocks! You were so lucky to be able to take that class right AT Thompson!!!!

    PS, LOVE your pieces, especially the flower one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve - Thank you! I see you are very proficient and making wonderful enamel beads. I'm following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori -

    Barbara is the one who got me started after a saw a bead of hers either on the front page or in a treasury. :) I posted the pics on the Painting with Fire Ning group today too. You are so lucky to take classes with Barbara!

    One especially cool thing having TE staff experts (including Mr. Carpenter at 93 years young) come in and out of the class to watch and to answer questions. (I had no clue what to ask.) I heard a lot of chemistry-like explanations that will sink in one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces, Carol. I can so relate to the weather issues! I do all of my torch work in the studio/garage, early morning. But it will be cooler soon, right? I'm looking foward to seeing what comes out of your next batch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I'd love to take an enamel class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LeAnn - Thank you. It will be cool one of these days. I'm not much of a morning person, even if enamel is calling me.

    Copper Diem - It sure was fun. Torching is a lot easier than the kiln process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted a comment but it' not showing. These are so cool. I can't wait to see the jewelry you make.

    ReplyDelete