Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bead & Button 2011 - Days 1 & 2

This was my first trip to Bead & Button and I am so glad I went!  I learned all sorts of cool things and saw way more cool things.  My buying rule was not to buy anything I could order later.  It worked, mostly!  I did buy one cute little lightweight riveting hammer and some colored copper wire.  Enough about that.  Let's talk about classes! 

 
My first class was "Hard Candy" with Melissa Manley on Tuesday.  She teaches in North Carolina.  I was surprised to find out that she learned enamel from Linda Darty, the author of the Art of Enameling.  Not that Melissa isn't great, it's just that her style is so different from how I perceive Linda's to be!  I'd been perplexed that Melissa was riveting enameled discs. This is a big no-no as far as I'd heard.  Yes, she really does rivet them.  The trick is to be very, very, careful!  Above are my little creations from her class. 



The next day I had two classes - Richard Salley's "Enameling 101" and Linda Larsen's "Incorporating Resin Into Your Work."  I enameled three centerpiece discs.   The first one started as just a sampler of "wonder what this color looks like" and I liked it the beast.  See that spot of a funny red color in the mostly green disc?  That is called something like transparent ruby opalescent.  The enamel powder is white, so I had little idea of what to expect.  It is very shiny and reflective.  Richard has very interesting ways of connecting things.  My pendant above is a very simple version of what he does.  I learned how to easily dome and texture those largish copper pieces.  The finished pendant is about 2" across. 



It's a good thing these weren't real classes with grades.  I would have an "F" in Linda Larsen's class for leaving early.  She showed and told us all sorts of how-tos, tips and tricks, including how she changed her shoes to a nifty gold color!  We were a little pressed for time and I had truly, honestly, NO clue what I wanted to make even after collecting fun things from her ephemera table.  So... what to do?  I don't remember exactly but it probably involved Wisconsin cheese. We needed to be fortified for "Meet the Teachers" at 8 p.m., after all!  This pic shows the cool bezels from Objects and Elements I will use some day. 

Wednesday closed with an awesome late-night Wisconson thunderstorm. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow - I'd love to take classes at Bead & Button. Unfortunately Germany is tooooooooo far away to step by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! And how did I not know you would be there? I was there, but not taking classes, just shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori - It sure was fun shopping too. Sorry I didn't spot you. I was pretty much looking at merchandise :)

    ReplyDelete