Monday, June 20, 2011

Bead & Button 2011 - Days 3 & 4

Thursday and Friday were my first metal clay classes ever.  :)  Thursday night was the "marketplace preview" where the class students got to have a first look at all the vendors' goodies.  There was a lot to see - about 600 booth spaces worth!  It seemed like a whole extra day had happened between my Thursday class and the Friday class.




Maria Martinez' metal clay heart class was Thursday.  We used slow dry Art Clay Silver.  My finished heart is a bit rough around the edges and I'm proud it doesn't look any worse than it does.  :) Maria was an excellent teacher for beginners, giving us lots of little tips along the way. That texture on the heart's front was super-easy and fast. 


Friday was Anne E. Mitchell's structural PMC clasps class.  She emphasized having everything oiled and having a plan before opening the package, so the clay won't dry out.  Naturally, I was then afraid to open the PMC package in case I couldn't work quickly enough!  (With wire-wrapping, I just have a rough idea and change it as I go.)  All went well eventually and here are my clasps.  We used room-temperature liver of sulfur so we could see all the color variations in the PMC.  I'll darken these more.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the showroom floor.  I was too busy looking.  I only shopped at the preview, lunch breaks, and after classes.  I'll show you what I bought in my next post.  :)

 

1 comment: