Sunday, August 28, 2011

Introverts Explained to Extroverts

I ran across this excellent article in the Atlantic via Beth Hempton's Facebook post.
Caring for Your Introvert

The habits and needs of a little-understood group


It is written by Jonathan Rauch, an introvert. He explains that introverts are not the weirdos extroverts think we are. (thank you!) I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who thinks of some extroverts as barking and yipping. :) Here are my favorite parts of the article.

"Extroverts have little or no grasp of introversion. They assume that company, especially their own, is always welcome. They cannot imagine why someone would need to be alone; indeed, they often take umbrage at the suggestion. As often as I have tried to explain the matter to extroverts, I have never sensed that any of them really understood. They listen for a moment and then go back to barking and yipping."

"We tend to think before talking, whereas extroverts tend to think by talking, which is why their meetings never last less than six hours. "Introverts," writes a perceptive fellow named Thomas P. Crouser . . . 'are driven to distraction by the semi-internal dialogue extroverts tend to conduct. Introverts don't outwardly complain, instead roll their eyes and silently curse the darkness.' "

"How can I let the introvert in my life know that I support him and respect his choice? First, recognize that it's not a choice. It's not a lifestyle. It's an orientation."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has nothing to do with the introvert article. It's my table at the Austin Bead Society Bazaar two weeks ago.






6 comments:

  1. Carol, I like this! I think some people think introversion means the same thing as "shy." I mean introverts may be shy, but not necessarily. But what it means is that introverts process things internally. My daughter is an introvert. She's poised, strong in her moral convictions, will not let anyone run over her, respected by most, and is a whole lot less quiet than her mother! I admire her very much and many times wish I was as comfortable in my own skin as she is. Great photo of the bead show table, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this too. In fact I am pretty introverted myself and really love (need) my alone time. So it's sort of refreshing to feel like I am not as weird as I sometimes feel. How did your show go? Shows can take a huge toll on us introverts no matter how well they go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara -

    Your daughter has a great mom! I bet you gave her a lot of love and taught her to be confident with who she is. :)

    I'm relieved my iPhone pic came out okay. It took a bit of tweaking in GIMP.

    BTW, I've revised my comment about barking and yipping. Not ALL extroverts do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LeAnn -

    Someone just recommended this book to me: http://www.amazon.com/Introvert-Advantage-Thrive-Extrovert-World/dp/0761123695 . The first few pages describe me to a tee.

    The show went well. We had less shoppers than last year but they shopped. You are so right about shows wearing out introverts. This one tires me more than any other because there are so many people (mostly vendors) there that I don't see often. I bounce around visiting with them all as much as possible!

    Any shows on the horizon for you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I loved this post. We are a family of extroverts, but my youngest daughter is an introvert. I heard a phone conversation she was having with a new friend she was getting to know right before she left for college a couple of years ago. She said, "I'm not like anyone in my family. They're all loud and I'm quiet. I love them, but I'm not like them. I like to watch and listen."

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lori - "Watch and listen" is so accurate!

    ReplyDelete